Benjamin Provoost and Elsje Alberts
Benjamin Provoost was born at Fort Good Hope to David Provoost and Margriet Gillissen ten Waert. He was baptized 17 June 1646 in New Amsterdam. He had one older sister, Margaret, and two younger sisters, Barbara (who died young), and Barber. He also had three older brothers, William, Samuel, and David, one twin brother, Elias, and two younger brothers, Jonathan and Gillis. Benjamin married first Sara Barents 11 June 1670 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland and second Elsje Alberts 5 Nov 1671 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland. Elsje was baptized 8 July 1654 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland, the daughter of Albert Janszen and Elsje Jans Neven. She had one older sister, Grietje, one younger sister, Marritje, and one younger brother, Jan.
It is interesting to note that Benjamin and Elsje's family moved from New Amsterdam to Kingston, New York about the same time as the final cession of New York to the British. Whether or not, the change of power had anything to do with this temporary migration is not known. According to Bill deCoursey, Benjamin participated in a peace treaty with the Native Amercians and served as a trustee while in Kingston. The family returned to their former home (once New Amsterdam, it had been renamed New York City) between 1689 and 1691. Benjamin became a freeman of New York in 1698.
Elsje seems to have died by 1703 because on a list of inhabitants of New York City of that time, Benjamin is listed with one male and eleven children in his household but no women.
Benjamin and Sara had:
1. David Provoost, baptized 6 Mar 1671 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland, probably died before 6 Oct 1672.
Benjamin and Elsje had:
2. David Provoost, baptized 6 Oct 1672 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland, probably died 1686-1687.
3. Margaretta Provoost, married Jacob Kodebec 21 Oct 1695 in New York City, Kings, New York. 
4. Magdalena Provoost, baptized 16 Sep 1673 in New Amsterdam, New Netherland, married Gerrit Woutersen 25 Apr 1692 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.
5. Esje Provoost, born 15 Jun 1677, baptized 31 Mar 1678 in Kingston, Ulster, New York, probably died 1692-1694.
6. Willem Provoost, baptized 19 Jan 1679 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.
7. Barber Provoost, baptized 24 Apr 1681 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.
8. Albertus Provoost, baptized 12 Nov 1682 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.
9. Elias Provoost, baptized 1 Nov 1684 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.
10. Samuel Provoost, baptized 11 Jul 1686 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.
11. David Provoost, baptized 13 Nov 1687 in Kingston, Ulster, New York, probably died before 14 May 1699.
12. Maria Provoost, baptized 24 Mar 1689 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.
13. Agnietje Provoost, baptized 27 Feb 1691 in New York City, Kings, New York.
14. Cornelia Provoost, baptized 20 Jun 1692 in New York City, Kings, New York, probably died 1694-1696.
15. Elsje Provoost, baptized 8 Apr 1694 in New York City, Kings, New York.
16. Cornelia Provoost, baptized 6 Sep 1696 in New York City, Kings, New York.
17. Davidt Provoost, baptized 14 May 1699 in New York City, Kings, New York.
1. Fernow, Berthold (ed.), Records of New Amsterdam from 1653 to 1674 Anno Domini, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976.
2. Brassard, Theodore (comp.), Baptisms at the Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam (1639-1730), Nottingham, NH: http://www.altlaw.com/edball/dutchbap.htm, 2000.
3. Records of the Reformed Dutch Church in New Amsterdam/New York: Marriages.
4. Provoost Manuscript, New York, 1749 (a handwritten manuscript copied by John Provoost from his uncle David Provoost's notes).
5. Hoes, Roswell Randall (comp.), Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster County, New York, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1997 (originally published by De Vinne Press (New York), 1891).
6. Valentine, David Thomas, The History of the city of New-York, New York: G.P. Putnam & Co., 1853, p. 358.
7. Decoursey, William L., It's About Time, Chronological, Historical and Genealogical Research Notes on Some of the Paternal Ancestors, Descendants, and Collateral Lines of Frederick Perry Decoursey (1900-1978), (from the Dutch Uncle Website), New Brighton, MN.
Records of Baptisms of the Reformed Church at New Amsterdam.
Baptism Date Parents Child Witnesses 1646 Mr. David Provoost Benjamin Corn. Van Tienhoven-secrts., 17 Jun and Elias- Olof Stephenszen Van Courtlant, twins Anneken Loockermans, Jillis Van Brug, Aren Koos and his wife 1654 Albert Janszen Elsje Jochem Calder, 8 Jul Magdaleen Wale, Annetie Jans 1671 Benjamin Provoost David David Provoost, 6 Mar Sara Barents Jan Pieterszen Grietie Provoost 1672 Benjamin Provoost David David Provoost, 6 Oct Elsje Alberts Grietie Provoost 1673 Benjamin Provoost Magdalena David Provoost, 16 Sept Elsje Alberts Tryntie Alberts 1691 Benjamin Provoost Agnietje Jillis Provoost, 27 Feb Elsje Grim David Provoost, Maria Hybon 1692 Benjamin Provoost Cornelia Jonathan Provoost, 20 Jun Elsje Alberts Catharina Van der Veen 1694 Benjamin Provoost Elsje Gerrit Wouterszen, 8 Apr Elsje Provoost Magdalena Provoost 1696 Benjamin Provoost Cornelia Jacob Koddenbeck, 6 Sept Elsje Alberts Cath. Van der Veen,
h.v. Jonath. Provoost
1699 Benjamin Provoost Davidt Gerret Wouterse, 14 May Elsje Provoost Grietje Alberts
Source: Brassard, Theodore (comp.), Baptisms at the Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam (1639-1730), Nottingham, NH: http://www.altlaw.com/edball/dutchbap.htm, 2000.
11 dicto. Benjamin Provoost, j. m. Van Hertfort in N. Engelant, en Sara Barents. j. d. Van Haerlem.
Records of the Reformed Dutch Church in New Amsterdam/New York Marriages
(11, same month as above (Jun 1670). Benjamin Provoost, young man of Hertfort (Hartford) in New England, and Sara Barents, young daughter of Haerlem.)
Eodem. Benjamin Provoost, Wedr. Van Sara Barents, en Elsje Alberts, j. d. Van N. Jorck.
(Same day (5 Nov 1671). Benjamin Provoost, widower of Sara Barents, and Elsje Alberts, young daughter of New York.)
den 17 dicto. Jacob Codebeck, j.m., Van Normandyen, en Margareta Provoost, j.d., Van Kingstouwne, d' Eerste woonende in Esopus, en twede alheir. den 21 Octob.
(The 17th of the same month (Oct 1695). Jacob Codebeck, unmarried man, of Normandy, and Margareta Provoost, unmarried woman, of Kingston, the former living in Esopus, and the latter here. The 21st October.)
Source: Records of the Reformed Dutch Church in the City of New York: Marriages.
Records of Baptisms of the Reformed Church at Kingston, Ulster, NY.
Page Number Baptism Number Baptism Date Parents Child Witnesses 10 142 1678 Benjamin Provoost Esje Montagne and 31 March Elsje Albetsen Born 15 June, 1677 Lenora, his wife 11 169 1679 Benjamin Provoost Willem Cornelis Hogheboom. 19 Jan. Elsje Alberts Annetie Cornelisse Slecht. 14 218 1681 Benyamin Provoost Barber Johannis Provoost. 24 April Elyen Albertsen Ricke Staets. 18 290 1682 Benjamin Provoost Albertus Pieter Pieterz. 12 Nov. Elsie Aelbertz Elsie Neuen. 23 395 1684 Benjamin Provoost Elias Jillis Provoost. 1 Nov. Elsie Aelbertz Sara van de Kellenaar. 26 474 1686 Benjamin Provoost Samuel Henricus Beeckman. 11 July Elsie Aelbertz Johanna Lopers. 30 540 1687 Benjamin Prevost David Teunis Elissen. 13 Nov. Eltje Alberson Laurentia Kellelaer. 32 622 1689 Benjamin Provost Maria Jan Mattys. 24 March Eltje Albersen Magdeleine Blanchchamp. Page 510 Marriage #102 1692, 25 April
Kingston Marriage Register.
GERRIT WOUTERSEN, j. m., and MAGDALENA PROVOOST, j. d., both of Kingston. Date of Banns not given.
Source: Hoes, Roswell Randall (comp.), Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster County, New York, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1997 (originally published by De Vinne Press (New York), 1891).
From the New Amsterdam Court Records,
10 Oct 1670
The following Named Persons have entered their Banns of Matrimony before the Hr. Mayr. of this City, to be proclaimed at the usual time & place.
...11 ditto (June). Benjamin Provoost, born at Harfort in N. England, with
Sara Barents, born at New Haerlem...
14 Nov 1671
Jan Pieterson, Plt. agst Benjamin Provoost, Deft. The W: Court refer Parties to the Arbitration of Pieter Jacobs Marius & Boele Roelofszen who are hereby requested to reconcile parties if possible; or otherwise to report to the next Court.
5 Dec 1671
Jan Pietersen, pltf. v/s Benjamin Provoost, deft. The decision of arbitrators appointed by this W: Court being delivered into Court, read and examined, is approved by this W: Court and the deft. is hereby condemned promptly to pay the pltf. the hundred and fifty guilders pursuant to said award with costs.
Source: Fernow, Berthold (ed.), Records of New Amsterdam from 1653 to 1674 Anno Domini, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976.
List of Inhabitants of the City in 1703.
Head of Household Family and Domestic Household Provoost, Benjamin 1 male, 11 children. 1698
List of Citizens of New York, Admitted as Freemen of the City,
between the years 1683 and 1740.
...Provoost, Benjamin ...
Source: Valentine, David Thomas, The History of the city of New-York, New York: G.P. Putnam & Co., 1853, p. 358.
"Benjamin Provost was named in treaty of peace with the Indians at Kingston, 11 Feb. 1679...Benjamin Provost was, on 1 May 1687, by letters patent constituted one of the trustees of Kingston and continued as such until 1690."
From Decoursey, William L., It's About Time, Chronological, Historical and Genealogical Research Notes on Some of the Paternal Ancestors, Descendants, and Collateral Lines of Frederick Perry Decoursey (1900-1978), (from the Dutch Uncle Website), New Brighton, MN.
 Margaretta does not have extant baptismal records. In the past, the baptismal record of 16 Sep 1673 was thought to be Margaretta's, that the name Magdalena was accidentally written instead of Margaretta's name. However, upon closer examination, it may be seen that there was a Magdalena Provoost marrying a Gerrit Woutersen in Kingston. She is listed as being from Kingston. As the only Provoost at that time to be recorded living in Kingston, Benjamin is most likely Magdalena's father. This confirmed by the fact that Gerrit and Magdalena named their elder children Benjamin and Elsje and that Gerrit and Magdalena appear as the witnesses to several baptisms of the children and grandchildren of Benjamin and Elsje.
Margaretta, however, is certain to be the daughter of Benjamin and Elsje, too. Her husband, Jacob Codebeck, appears as a witness to baptism of Cornelia, Benjamin and Elsje's daughter. Jacob and Margaretta had an oldest son named Benjamin and a daughter named Elsie. In addition, Peter Gumaer, Peter Gumaer, the grandson of one of Jacob's oldest and closest friends, wrote in his History of Deerpark that Jacob married "a daughter of Benjamin Provost, who was in a trading business either in the city of New York or somewhere in the vicinity of the Hudson river". Finally, there is the fact that Margaretta is listed in the marriage record as being from Kingston. As mentioned above, Benjamin and his family are the only Provoosts to have been recorded as settling in the Kingston area around that time.
(c) 2002 by Michelle Boyd, All rights reserved.
Return to Caudebec Page
Return to Home Page
To contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated Jul. 19, 2002.