Margaret Robinson was born in about 1670 of Penwortham parish. She
married Thomas Mackerell 29 March 1692 in Leyland. The only Margaret
Robinson christened in Penwortham parish was Margreat Robinson,
daughter of John and Margreat Robinson, christened 9 June 1678 in
Penwortham. If this were our Margaret, then she would have been 14
years old at the time of her marriage to 31 year-old Thomas, a
weaver of Leyland. It is possible, but unusual.
There were two families having children in the parish in the right
time period - the families of John Robinson and Thomas Robinson, who
were brothers. If John were Margaret's father, then it would have to
be the 14 year-old Margaret, as a later daughter named Margaret
would be much too young to marry in 1692. Thomas does not have any
daughters named Margaret, but there are some gaps in the records.
Both John and Thomas were the sons of Richard Robinson of
There are multiple marriages for John Robinson in Penwortham:
- John married first before 1660, but the first wife's name is
unknown.She died and was buried 28 April 1660 in Penwortham,
soon after the birth of their son Richard.
- John married Dorothy Worthington 29 June 1662 in
- John married Margrett Bucke in February 1664 in
Penwortham. Margrett, wife of John of Penwortham, died and was
buried 30 September 1678 in Penwortham.
- John married Ellin Heale "de Longton" 7 September 1675
in Penwortham. Is the Margrett buried above the wife of an older
John Robinson, or are there two John Robinsons marrying in
- John married Jane Croston 27 June 1682 in
Parish christening records at this time do not list the name of
the mother, only the father. John had the following
1. Richard, christened 1 April 1660 in Penwortham.
2. Alice, christened 13 December 1663 in Penwortham; buried
13 January 1664 in Penwortham.
3. William, christened 18 April 1665 in Penwortham; buried 3
May 1665 in Penwortham.
4. Alice, christened 14 January 1666 in Penwortham; buried
22 December 1669 in Penwortham.
5. Richard, christened 25 October 1668 in Penwortham.
6. William, christened 21 February 1669 in Penwortham.
7. Richard, christened 21 January 1671 in Penwortham.
8. Jane, christened 11 June 1676 in Penwortham.
9. John, christened 8 October 1676 in Penwortham. (The
christening dates for Jane and John are too close, and may indicate
two different John Robinson in the parish at this time - one married
to Ellin Heale, and one married to Margrett Bucke.)
10. Margreat, christened 9 June 1678 in Penwortham.
11. Richard, christened 28 November 1680 in Penwortham;
buried 22 February 1682 in Penwortham.
12. Thomas, christened 1681 in Penwortham.
13. John, christened 1683 in Penwortham.
There is a will indexed in the Court of Chester for John Robinson,
of Penwortham, yeoman, Admon 1716.
Thomas Robinson is also listed in several marriages:
- Grace, wife of Thomas Robinson of Penwortham, died and
was buried 29 January 1676 in Penwortham. This may be an older
- Thomas married Jane Banke 13 April 1670 in Penwortham.
- Thomas (of Longton) married Jane Sumner of Litham 20
May 1676 in Penwortham.
Thomas had the following children:
1. Thomas, christened 15 April 1660 in Penwortham.
2. Thomas, christened 4 January 1663 in Penwortham.
3. Ellen, christened 30 April 1665 in Penwortham.
4. Jenet, christened 28 March 1676 in Penwortham.
5. Richard, christened 5 May 1678 in Penwortham; buried 4
October 1678 in Penwortham.
6. Richard, christened 27 July 1679 in Penwortham; buried 1
January 1680 in Penwortham.
7. John, christened 25 September 1679 in Penwortham.
8. William, christened 1683 in Penwortham.
In 1653, a Thomas Robinson was vicar of Penwortham parish.
John and Thomas were both the sons of Richard Robinson of
Penwortham. Richard was born in about 1600 of Penwortham. He married
Alice Ball 25 September 1631 in Penwortham.
Richard and Alice had the following children:
1. Margerie, christened 24 March 1627 in Penwortham.
2. Jane, born about 1629; buried 4 September 1640 in
3. William, christened 24 November 1631 in Penwortham.
4. Richard, christened 25 November 1632 in Penwortham.
5. John, christened 1 September 1633 in Penwortham.
6. Thomas, christened 20 December 1640 in Penwortham.
7. Ellin, (daughter of Rich. Robinson of Penwortham) buried
22 June 1668 in Penwortham.
Other Robinsons found in the parish records in the early 1600s may
be Richard's siblings:
- William was the constable in Penwortham in 1649, and
is found in Quarter Session notes: "Penwortham - William
Robinson, constable, desires reimbursement for arresting of
Peter Marcer and James Mayer, c1649/50". William has two
children christened in Penwortham - Alice (1634) and Annes
(1641). William's wife died and was buried April 1664 in
Penwortham. William died and was buried 2 April 1668 in
- John, who married Mary, and had a child, Henry,
christened 1633 in Penwortham.
- Margery, who married Robert Kerkham 24 May 1631 in
- _____, (name obscured) married Jeneta Dandy 23 October 1631 in
- Margrett, who married John Brindle 2 November 1640 in
- Thomas, who married Clemence Robinson 5 October 1640 in
Earlier records are found for:
- Johes, (de Longton) who married Ellina Sands 9 November
1616 in Penwortham.
- Roger, father of Margery who was christened 4 April
1616 in Penwortham.
SOURCE: Penwortham parish register; ancestry.co.uk;
If you have any
additional information about this family, please contact me at
table of contents