FAMILY GROUP RECORD OF
JOHN AND REBECKA STURMEY
John Sturmey was christened 26 April 1629 in Trysull,
Staffordshire, the son of Thomas Sturmey and Elizabeth Garrett.
He became a husbandman and day labourer of Stableford in
Worfield parish, Shropshire. He married Rebecka.
John was listed in the 1672 Hearth Tax in the townland of
Stapleford in Worfield, with one hearth.
Rebecka died as a widow, and left an inventory dated 11
December 1700, listing only two items, her apparel and some few
goods, and "money due to her at her death" in the amount
of 12 10 00.
2. Thomas, christened 26 February 1660/1 in Worfield.
At this time John was a husbandman of Acleton. Thomas is listed
as a tailor of Chelmith (Chelmarsh?) in Rebecka's administration
*3. Elizabeth, born about 1662 of Worfield; married John Richards 20 August 1687 in Worfield.
4. Deborah, christened 2 April 1665 in Worfield. At this time John was a labourer of Stableford.
5. Martha, christened 7 March 1668 in Worfield; this may be the Martha Sturmey mentioned in the will of Thomas Lowe of Swancott, yeoman in 1684: "He gives his servant Martha Sturmey 4 sheep."
6. Mary, christened 28 November 1672 in Worfield.
7. John, christened 9 May 1675 in Worfield; married Mary. He became a labourer, also of Stableford. He is listed as a husbandman of Patshull, Staffordshire in Rebecka's administration of 1700.
SOURCE: Worfield parish register; Trysull parish
register; Jane Smith, Worfield, Share Our Past Ltd, 2017.
FAMILY GROUP RECORD OF
THOMAS STURMEY AND
Thomas Sturmey was born in about 1575 of Trysull. He married 1) Betterich (Beatrice). Betterich, wife of Thomas Sturmey, died and was buried 13 June 1602. Thomas then married 2) Elizabeth Garrett 21 February 1603 in Trysull. Thomas' brother Richard had married Jane Garrett in 1594 in Kinver, a parish about eight miles away. Garrett is not a Trysull name at this time, so Elizabeth and Jane Garrett may be sisters. Jane was the daughter of Robert Garrett and Anne Comber of Kinver.
Thomas and Betterich had the following children:
1. Anne, christened 24 June 1597 in Trysull; married William Cartwright 15 October 15 October 1627 in Trysull.
2. Franncis (daughter), christened 16 February 1598 in Trysull.
3. Margarett, christened September 1601 in Trysull.
Thomas and Elizabeth had the following
1. Elyzabeth, christened 17 May 1604 in Trysull; buried 18 April 1605 in Trysull.
2. Margerie, christened 21 April 1608 in Trysull; married Edward Taylour 14 January 1629 in Trysull.
3. John, christened 13 April 1611 in Trysull.
There is a large gap of 15 years, then Thomas and Elizabeth have two more sons. It is possible that this is another Thomas and Elizabeth, but there are no burials or marriages that indicate a second couple.
4. Thomas, christened 28 September 1626 in Trysull.
*5. John, christened 26 April 1629 in Trysull; married Rebecka.
Baptism record for John Sturmey in the
Trysull parish register
SOURCE: Trysull parish register on www.findmypast.com; Kinver parish register.
FAMILY GROUP RECORD OF
SIMON AND PHILLIPE STURMEY
Simon Sturmey was born in about 1550 of Trysull. He married Phillipe (Phillipa). Simon and Phillipe are both mentioned in the will of their son Francis in 1589. "Symon Sturmy" is also mentioned in the will of Robert Smith of Wombourn in 1592, as owing him money. Simon is also mentioned in the will of John Robins in 1592 when Simon is owed £24. "Phillipe, wife of Simon Sturmye" died and was buried 12 May 1603 in Trysull.
Simon died and was buried 12 November 1603 in Wednesbury.
Simon and Phillipe had the following children:
1. Francis, "of Overton", occupation - smyth; died and was buried 16 February 1589 in Trysull; had a will, dated 31 January 1589/90, and proven 23 June 1590. In his will he mentions his father, Symon Sturny, his mother Phillipa, brothers John, Rychard, and Thomas, and sisters Margery and Ales.
2. Margerie, christened 9 August 1573
in Trysull; mentioned in brother Francis' will of 1590.
3. Ales, christened 3 May 1577 in Trysull; mentioned in brother Francis' will of 1590.
*4. Thomas, born in about 1575; mentioned in brother Francis' will of 1590; married 1) Betterich (Beatrice), married 2) Elizabeth Garrett 21 February 1603 in Trysull.
5. Rychard, born in about 1570; mentioned in brother Francis' will of 1590. Richard Sturmey married Jane Garrett 29 October 1594 in Kinver, had children: Thomas (1594), Richard (1596), John (1598), Joyce (1600), Anne (1602), Jane (1605), and Frances (1616). Richard of Trysull left a will written 25 October 1633, and proven 16 November 1633. He left half his estate to his wife Jane, and half to his children, not named. Jane, widow of Trysull left a will proven 9 July 1640, mentioning her oldest son Thomas, son Richard, daughter Anne Cartwright, daughter Jane Hardwicke, daughter Margery Tayler, and her well beloved son in law Edward Tayler, who she names as her executor.
7. Jonne (female), christened 28 June 1581 in Trysull.
Other Sturmeys found in early Trysull parish
SOURCE: Trysull parish register on
www.findmypast.com; will of Francis Sturmye; will of Jane
Sturmey; will of Richard Sturmey on www.findmypast.co.uk.
"The surname Sturmey was first found in Wiltshire where they
were granted lands by William the Conqueror for their assistance
at the Battle of Hastings in 1066."
If you have additional information about this family, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
to table of contents