FAMILY GROUP RECORD OF
BENJAMIN MECHAM was born in about 1695 of
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England. Benjamin had the
Anne, christened 9 September 1722 in St. Peter's
John , christened 14 May 1724 in St. Peter's
3. Benjamin, christened 19 February 1725 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton; buried 26 December 1734 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton.
Elizabeth, christened 31 October 1727 in St. Peter's
5. Frances, (daughter), christened 2 August 1729 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton; buried 16 August 1729 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton.
Mary, christened 20 March 1731 in St. Peter's
7. Joseph, christened 26 May
1733 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton; buried 11 July 1733 in St.
*8. Sarah, christened 4 August
1735 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton; married Thomas Meredith 6
May 1756 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton.
9. Michael, buried 16 September
1738 in St. Peter's Wolverhampton.
10. Benjamin, who must have
been born after the first son, Benjamin, died in 1734; married
Ann Morris 5 December 1769.
Benjamin Meacham died and was buried 28
October 1782 in St. Peter, Wolverhampton.
SOURCES: FamilySeach.org; St. Peter's Wolverhampton parish register at www.findmypast.co.uk, and online at http://www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/indexes.
THE MEACHAMS OF WOLVERHAMPTON
No christening record has been found in
Wolverhampton or nearby parishes for Benjamin Mecham. There were
other Mechams having children in the same time period as
Benjamin, and some of these may be his brothers. Benjamin's
children are born in the 1720s and 1730. John Mecham has
children in Wolverhampton in the 1720s. Samuel Mecham has a
child in the 1730s. Joseph, Richard and Edward (married Mary
Beeby in 1742) Mecham have children in the 1740s. Anne Mecham
has an illegitimate child born in 1717. Edward Mecham married
Elizabeth Walker in 1726. There do seem to be many unrecorded
births, and Wolverhampton had many dissenting churches. Perhaps
the Mechams are recorded in one on these.
The name Meacham is also recorded in the Wolverhampton parish records as Mecham, Meecham, Meechan, Mechan, Micham, Mechum, Mechan, Machin, Mekin, Meakin, Metcham, and Meetcham.
There are two Mecham families who could be potential parents for Benjamin:
William Mecham, shoemaker, married Jane Ashwood in 28 January 1688. William and Jane had the following children:
1. Mary, christened 20 May 1691 in Wolverhampton.
2. John, christened 6 April 1693 in Wolverhampton.
William died and was buried 1 December 1695 in Wolverhampton.
John Mecham, laborer, married Margery Adams 14 January 1677 in Wolverhampton. John and Margery had the following children:
1. Elizabeth, christened 18 June
1682 in Wolverhampton.
2. Sarah, christened 26 March 1685 in Wolverhampton.
3. John, christened 10 November 1687 in Wolverhampton; died 1687 in Wolverhampton.
4. Margaret, christened 16 February 1690 in Wolverhampton.
5. Ann, christened 21 January 1693 in Wolverhampton.
6. John, christened 28 November
1695 in Wolverhampton.
7. Edward, christened 3 November 1700 in Wolverhampton; married Elizabeth Walker 27 December 1726 in Wolverhampton, St. Peter.
John died 23 September 1727 in Wolverhampton. Margery died 28 November 1729 in Wolverhampton.
If you have additional information about
this family, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.