FAMILY GROUP RECORD OF
JOHN TAYLOR AND
John Taylor was born in about 1670, of Kinsley Wood in the parish
of Tettenhall, Staffordshire. He married Sarah Davies 17 December
1691 in Tettenhall, Staffordshire.
Sarah was christened 7 February 1668 in Tettenhall, the daughter of John Davies and Mary Granger. John died and was buried 27 September 1724. He is listed as John Taylor "of the Werggs", a townland in Tettenhall. The Wergs are described as "the land had not been cleared from the forest, and the valley of the Penk, which flows through the Wergs, was at that time a dense forest, infested by criminals and wild animals". Werg is an old Anglo-Saxon work for wolf. Sarah died just three days later 30 September 1724 in Tettenhall.
John and Sarah had the following children:
*1. Esther (or Hester), christened 7 May 1699 in Tettenhall, married Richard Bruff 24 February 1719 in Tettenhall.
2. William, christened 16 March 1700 in Tettenhall.
SOURCE: IGI; Tettenhall parish register.
There is no christening record for John
Taylor in Tettenhall parish, but there are only two Taylor
families having children during the right time period. They are
the families of Samuel Taylor of Tettenhall, and John Taylor of
the Wergs. Either could be John's father.
Samuel Taylor married Anne, and had the following children:
christened 6 March 1663 in Tettenhall, "of ye Wergs".
2. Anne, christened 10 September 1665 in Tettenhall, "of Tetnall".
3. Mary, christened 10 December 1668 in Tettenhall, "of Tettenhall".
4. Elizabeth, christened 15 March 1673 in Tettenhall, "of Tettenhall".
5. Samuel, christened 30 November 1677 in Tettenhall, "of Tettenhall".
Anne, wife of Samuel Taylor, died and
was buried 26 April 1696 in Tettenhall. Samuel "of Pentford,
Senr." died and was buried 3 February 1715 in Tettenhall.
Taylor had the following children:
christened 21 March 1666 in Tettenhall; "of the Wergs".
2. Elizabeth, christened 5 July 1674 in Tettenhall; "of the Wergs".
Margaret Tayler, widow of the Wergs, died and was buried 25 January 1710 in Tettenhall. She is most likely John's wife, as she is of the Wergs and is the only possible Taylor widow at the time.
Both Samuel and John of the Wergs are
the sons of Thomas and Mary Taylor.
Tayler was born about 1610 of Tettenhall. He married Mary
Phippes 29 September 1631 in Tettenhall. Mary is the
daughter of Richard Phippes, and was christened 27 March 1602 in
Thomas and Mary had the following
christened 25 November 1632 in Tettenhall; married Margaret.
2. Anna, christened 2 February 1634 in Tettenhall.
*3. Samuel, christened 15 December 1639 in Tettenhall; married Anne.
4. William, christened 20 February 1642 in Tettenhall.
5. Richard, christened 25 June 1646 in Tettenhall.
6. Elizabeth, christened 4 April 1653 in Tettenhall.
Thomas "of Kings Tettenhall, sawyer" died 11 December 1656 in Tettenhall.
Thomas Taylor burial record in the
Tettenhall parish register: "Thomas Taylor of Kings
Tettenhall Sawyer was buried upon Thursday the 11th day of Dec
Mary, as a widow of Tettenhall, died
and was buried 16 September 1659 in Tettenhall.
Other Taylors are found in the early
Tettenhall parish registers:
Thomas Tayler married Johanna Woodason
6 May 1621. They had the following children:
1. Johanna, christened 10 October 1622 in Tettenhall.
2. Letiza, christened 29 February 1623 in Tettenhall.
3. Thomas, christened 17 January 1625 in Tettenhall; married Elizabeth; of Tettenhall Regis; occupation: husbandman; had child William, christened 14 November 1658 in Tettenhall.
Thomas then married Alicia Cawdall 20
January 1626 in Tettenhall. Alicia, wife of Thomas Tayler "de
Wergs" died and was buried 8 December 1646 in Tettenhall.
4. Maria, christened 15 March 1626 in Tettenhall; buried 31 May 1627 in Tettenhall.
5. Henry, christened 29 March 1629 in Tettenhall; buried 2 January 1683 in Tettenhall.
John Tayler had the following child:
1. William, christened 20 February 1605 in Tettenhall.
John (Johannes) died and was buried 9 December 1625 in Tettenhall.
Thomas Tayler married Anne Norris 2 February 1608 in Tettenhall.
Johana Tayler, wife of Thomas Tayler,
was buried 31 January 1630 in Tettenhall.
In even earlier record, the family of
Thomas Taylor is found in the record A List of Families in the
Archdeaconry of Stafford 1532-3. The list for Tettenhall
shows Thomas Taylor, deceased wife Joan, and children William,
Anthony, Agnes and Eleanor.
Thomas Taylor, *Joan, William, Anthony, Agnes, Eleanor.
you have additional information about this family, please
contact me at email@example.com.
table of contents