CHARLES EDWARD GREEN
Charles Edward Green born 19 July 1867 in Pleasant Grove, the son of
Samuel Green and Pamelo Wishaw. He was the fifth child in the family. Samuel
and Pamelo had sixteen children born to them, with eight living to adulthood.
Charles grew up in a two-story soft-rock house that his father built near
the south and east walls of the then-abandoned Grove Fort. This home is
now listed on the National Register of Historic Homes.
Samuel Green home in Pleasant Grove
1880 census, Pleasant Grove, Utah
The 1880 census for Pleasant Grove shows:
Samuel Green Self 45 England Farming
Pamela Wife 39 England Keeping house
Samuel Son 20 Utah At home
William Son 14 Utah At home
Charles Son 12 Utah At home
Ella Daughter 10 Utah
Hermon Son 6 Utah
Joseph Son 4 Utah
Kay Son 2 Utah
Source: 1880 federal census, Pleasant Grove, Utah, page 305A,
Charles married Harriet Ann Aston 11 December 1888 in Manti, San Pete,
Utah. They had ten children: Vernice, Eliza, Curtis, Vera, Herman, Mable,
Leo, Ella, Arvilla, and Frank. Only five — Curtis, Vera, Herman, Mable,
and Leo — survived to adulthood.
Harriet, Charles and baby Curtis
The family lived on a farm on the east side of the Utah State Highway
on the outskirts of Pleasant Grove. Charles worked as a farmer, and also
hired out as teamster around Utah County. He was known for his great strength.
In the 1910 census the family is found in Salt Lake City, and Charles'
occupation is listed as teamster.
1910 census Salt Lake City, Utah
Charles’ granddaughter, Beulah Green Carey, remembers, “Grandpa Green died when my father (Herman) was seventeen years old. Dad told me that he was a strong man. He could lift a small ore car on his back. That was his great feat. I think he ran a saloon, but that was considered a respectable business in those days. He was well-liked.”
Charles died before he reached his 45th birthday, of a heart attack.
The end came suddenly as he was working with his horses in the corral.
He died 10 April 1912, in Pleasant Grove, and was buried in the Pleasant
FAMILY GROUP RECORD OF
CHARLES EDWARD GREEN AND
HARRIET ANN ASTON
Charles Edward Green was born 19 July 1867 in Pleasant Grove, Utah. He was the son of Samuel Green and Pamelo Wishaw. He married Harriet Ann Aston 11 December 1888 in the Manti Temple, Manti, San Pete, Utah. She was born 22 September 1870 in Gainsborough, Lincoln, Utah. Charles died 10 April 1912 in Pleasant Grove, Utah. He was buried in the Pleasant Grove Cemetery. Harriet died 20 April 1931 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Charles and Harriet had the following children:
1. Vernice Samuel, born 10 October 1889 in Pleasant Grove, Utah; died 15 February 1891 in Pleasant Grove.
2. Eliza Pamelo, born 18 December 1890 in Pleasant Grove; died 15 February 1891 in Pleasant Grove.
3. Curtis Charles, born 21 March 1892 in Pleasant Grove; married Vera Ballinger 5 July 1911; died 12 January 1947.
4. Vera Harriet, born 11 November 1893 in Pleasant Grove; married Charles Willard Forbes in about 1914; died 26 February 1969.
5. Herman Elias, born 9 April 1895 in Pleasant Grove; married Alice Haslam 24 April 1919 in Salt Lake City; died 16 January 1971 in Torrance, Los Angeles, California.
6. Mable Gertrude, born 21 January 1898 in Pleasant Grove; married Harry G. Shelledy 23 January 1915.
7. Leo E Green, born 19 September 1899 in Pleasant Grove; married Leah Eliott 14 June 1920 in Salt Lake City; died 10 April 1967.
8. Ella Lafern, born 5 March 1901 in Pleasant Grove; died 19 May 1905 in Pleasant Grove.
9. Arvilla Nettie, born 12 January 1903 in Pleasant Grove; died 12 January 1903 in Pleasant Grove.
10. Frank William, born 9 December 1909 in Pleasant Grove; died
9 December 1909 in Pleasant Grove.
SOURCE: Personal information supplied by Herman Green; family group
sheet submitted by Myrl Green Haight, citing Green family Bible; IGI.